Monday, November 23, 2009

Preparing to Be Married

This last weekend, Andy and I decided that we should both go around Lubbock and price apartments so that we can 1) know which one we would potencially like to live in and 2) so we can get a good round about price so that we would be able to create a budget to know how much to save between now and then. The funny thing about this whole experience is that is so typically me. The fact that we are doing anything of the sort is only happening because of my personality. First of all, in my head, it is a step by step math problem. We have several variables that we need to solve for. Basically, for those who know what I'm talking about, it is a simple algebra problem with several unknowns in which we use the substitution method to solve for them. ANYWAY! We want to set the date so that we can book the chapel before 2010. We can't set the date until we know how long it will take for us to save up enough money. We don't know how much money to save up until we research all the prices, and we don't know the prices until we go and seek out all our different options. Now you see how algebra fits into this.

So we're driving around Lubbock and the first apartment complex we go to is the Summerset Apartments. They look nice. Nothing special. They actually kinda reminded me of storage units. But that's just the way Lubbock looks. haha...anyway, so we go inside to talk to the people, and Andy says nothing. The girl actually gave me a look like, "yeah I can tell you're one of those dominating woman types." I really wanted to put her in her place and let her know that there are times when he won't shut up! I really hoped that he would contribute to the discussions a little more later.

Then the next two were beautiful! And one was in our price range. It is called Oakridge and we would be paying $480 a month for it. Not too high, but also not too low. The three places that we ended up not going to were just awful. My favorite experience of those was one where we drove up and noticed that all the blinds in the windows were broken. I told Andy that I thought it looked shady, and he said, "I can't tell, let's go inside. Maybe it's not that bad." My instincts told me otherwise. I said, "Andy, all the blinds are broken, that either means it's gross inside or we don't want these people for neighbors. They might be scary."
Andy: "Oh they aren't scary."
Right then we drive by this man who is standing in front of the apartments by what I would guess was his car. He had scraggly long hair, wrinkly dirty clothes, and wore a scowel like he was going to eat me.
Me: "Andy! Look at that man! HE'S scary!"
Andy: "He's not scary...he just has one arm!!!"
I cracked up laughing. Of course Andy wouldn't notice that the man looked like we were his next meal. Andy just noticed that the man was missing his appendages! Maybe he ate them?

After we finished looking at all the apartments, we went back to Andy's apartment and made our budget. To my surprise, we are easily going to be able to save up enough to have money for our first three months of expenses. Surely I'll be able to get a job in that amount of time whether it be teaching or otherwise. So, now to set the date! Andy was wanting to get married in early June, but I'm trying to convince him to wait a few weeks. So far our compromise is June 11, but that isn't official and we still have to confirm it with the parentals. Oh I love that the ball is rolling!

No comments:

Post a Comment