Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hello, I am your math teacher Miss Sarah Gallaway...

I just finished teaching today and I feel great. In my Geometric Concepts for Teaching class, I had to partner with someone and teach our class for three days. This means making a flipchart for Promethean (if you don't know what that is, it's a computerized white board that is connected directly to the computer and allows you to write, do interactive activities and other cool things), assigning and grading homework and writing and grading a quiz. Doesn't sound that hard? OH BOY it is. We don't give teachers nearly enough credit. I spent hours on that stupid flipchart and I probably wouldn't have gotten it done so quickly if Whitney's mom had not given me the instruction manual and the program to put on my computer.

So my topic was Pythagoras. Yes, this is the Pythagorean Theorem. Now sit there and think back to freshman geometry and 8th grade algebra. Is pythagorean theorem hard? Hopefully your answer is no. Is there a lot to talk about? Again, no. And also consider that I am teaching fellow math majors who should also have a good understanding of the pythagorean theorem. So, now ask yourself, is it possible to strech this lesson over THREE days? The answer is no, but I did it!!! I drug it out as long as I possibly could. It was GRUELING! But I did it and my professor said that we did a really good job and she was really impressed how well we facilitated discussion instead of just spouting off theory and answers.

This really made me realize that I love teaching math. It was really hard but I truly enjoyed it and I can't wait to start teaching. I don't think I want to do upper level. I enjoy this beginner stuff like algebra and geometry. Calculus could be fun, and who knows, I may work up to it one day, but right now I'm happy with the basics.

Now let me pull on my teacher sweater (which Andy likes to point out that I own two), and lets us move on to surface area....

4 comments:

  1. I love that precious people like you want to teach math so not as smart people like me don't have to! Yay for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! I would have gone crazy before I got all of that done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! That is super impressive! I'm so happy that you've found something that you love to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay Sarah!!! i'm so glad it all worked out so well for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete