Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Just an awkward moment...

Last night, I was strolling around campus, enjoying the warm evening. I decided to go and sit in the ampetheater, text and simply watch the people walk by. Not even 5 minutes after I sat down, a boy of maybe 20 carrying a guitar and a Bible came and sat down next to me. He started mumbling with a weird accent that I could not for the life of me understand. So I asked him his name which I will not disclose for the sake of his privacy. He then proceeded to mumble some gibberish that I could not decipher so I asked him about his guitar. How long has he played? His whole life, he responds. "Would you like to hear a song?" I agree to listen to a song, and then, I thought, I would politely leave and bit him goodnight. I praised him for the one song and he proceeds to play some more. Ugh...I can't escape.

He then asks if I want to worship with him. Oh good, I thought, he isn't here to molest me. So I agree to sing one song with him. I praise him on the beautiful music and he proceeds to mumble again. I didn't understand why he couldn't just talk louder! So I commented on how I had a paper to write and how beautiful the evening was. Then, he points up and says, "look at the star!" I say, "yes, it's very beautiful." He then asks if he can hold my hand. I thought he wanted to pray and we would be done worshiping. I agreed and bowed my head. Except, then he started talking (or in his case mumbling), and it wasn't a prayer. I don't know what he said, but I caught the words "girlfriend", "wife" and "alone."

The first thought that popped into my head was, "Oh my gosh, I just agreed to marry this guy and didn't know it! Now what?" So I said, "well, it was really nice to meet you, I really must be going now."
"No, wait. I'm sorry I made this awkward for you. It's just that I have a really hard time talking to people and getting out my feelings. I talk better when I hold someone's hand. I speak what's in my heart. Can I talk to you a little more?"

"I guess so."

"Can I hold your hand again?" I hold out my right hand, limply and just let him hold on to it while he strokes his fingers against mine. Ew!!! He proceeds to say,

"I don't know if you have boyfriend or not, and if you do it's okay. I was just wondering if you would be my girlfriend. I have really wanted a girlfriend for a long time now and I really really want a wife. I've already asked some other girls and they rejected me because most already have boyfriends, I was just hoping that you were the one."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I have a boyfriend...of 6 years." (Thank God for Andy.)

"Oh I see, it's just that I've been praying so hard, and I want someone to love so badly. I was just hoping you were the one."

So I give him the speech of "you don't have to have a girlfriend to be happy" and "God has a plan for you" and "if you search too hard you won't find what you are looking for. Only when you aren't trying will you bump into your treasure." and "Paul himself didn't have a wife, some people are meant to be single."

He then asked me to pray over him and we went our separate ways. However, right before I turned to leave, he asks, "So do you think I should ask anymore girls tonight or should I just chill?" I looked him in the eyes and said, "Just chill tonight, and know that whatever happens, happens for a reason."

This was such a scary, weird and extremely funny experience. I know that God put me there with that boy, at that time for a reason, but at the same time, I was so scared that I had agreed to marry someone and didn't know it. His accent was so strong, and culture differences could create some problems. And the funny part is that his dad was my Calculus 3 professor last semester. I'll never be able to look at that man the same way again and not think, "you could have been my father in-law."

3 comments:

  1. enter awkward turtle, with one fin, that can only swim in circles...lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear. poor kid...he needs some serious training. it's interesting that he would go for someone who obviously didn't share his culture, although i supposed you have a common faith. that's often a pretty big issue with foreign students here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete